Shakti Community Council Inc. is a 23 years old not-for-profit organization dedicated to improving the well-being of migrant refugee women, children and families of Asian, Middle Eastern and African origins.
We are looking for enthusiastic students from Unitec who are passionate about community development. We need interns and volunteers who are currently studying subjects related to Social Work and Community Development for our Youth Unit from Family Centre at Manukau.
Main responsibilities include:
– Family Violence crisis response and management. Includes crisis attendance, assessment, case planning, advocacy, goal development and implementation keeping safety as paramount
– Being culturally competent, be open to training and further development
– Keeping up with required policies and standards of practice including client paperwork documentation and reporting
– Attending supervision, internal and external meetings as and when required
– Being ethical and empathetic.
To be successful in this role you will:
– Have an educational background in social work
– Be philosophically aligned with Shakti’s area of work
– Be passionate about working with clients and ensuring their safety
– Be able to learn work well under pressure; prioritize effectively and be confident in making decisions that impact on clients’ well-being
– Be a good team player and support team mates proactively when required
– Open to understanding the complex dynamics surrounding family and gender-based violence and have a women’s rights perspective
– Have a fair understanding of working in a cross cultural environment
– Fluent in at least one Asian, Middle Eastern or African language
– Be excellent in spoken and written English language skills
You will earn:
– Professional training
– New Zealand experience related to Social Work and Community Development
– Working with focused and cooperative team
If this is you then please apply to us at firstname.lastname@example.org