Please come and join us for our next Volunteering Expo!
11am – 1pm, Wednesday 15th May
at Te Puna
- To gain new skills
- To meet new and interesting people
- To add work experience for your CV
- To develop self confidence
- To increase your network of contacts
- To try out something new
- To give to the community
- To become involved
- To help people
- To do something worthwhile
- Put your study into practice
This year come and meet Volunteer organisations such as … Coastguard, Auckland City Mission, Plunket, Habitat for Humanity, Conservation Volunteers and many more!
Volunteering versus Internships
The Unitec Volunteer Expo is coming up and this seems like a good opportunity to talk about the definitions of volunteering work and internships, benefits of each and the difference between the two.
In most situations this will be with a Volunteer or Community not-for-profit organisation. Unitec Volunteer Expos give you an opportunity to connect with organisations offering a variety of different voluntary roles.
There are many benefits to volunteering including opportunities to learn new skills and give back to the community. It’s also a great way to increase your networks, particularly if you are new to New Zealand.
Unpaid internships are practice based and structured learning opportunities that should have a support component. They should be credit-bearing or hour-bearing as part of your studies. Examples of credit bearing internships are Unitec’s IBL or Capstone programmes. Examples of hour-bearing internships are the cadetship for construction, engineering and architecture where students are required to complete a number of hours of work experience to complete their degrees.
All other internships should be paid. To protect our students, we do not encourage any internships outside these three classifications, that is: Credit-bearing, hour-bearing or paid.
A few other great organisations that take on volunteers:
- Brothers in Arms – http://brothersinarms.org.nz
- Discovery for Teens – www.discoveryforteens.org.nz
- Friends of Oakley Creek Te Auaunga – www.oakleycreek.org.nz
- Girl Guiding NZ – www.girlguidingnz.org.nz
- Heart Foundation – www.heartfoundation.org.nz
- Henderson Riding for the Disabled – www.hendersonrda.org.nz
- Hospice West Auckland– www.wah.org.nz
- IT’s Accessible – email@example.com
- Oxfam – www.oxfam.org.nz
- Red Cross – www.redcross.org.nz
- Rotary: Western Springs – www.rotary.org.nz
- Special Olympic – www.specialolympics.org.nz
- Victim Support – www.victimsupport.org.nz
- YMCA Mt Albert– www.ymcaauckland.org.nz
- Youthline – www.youthline.co.nz