YMCA Outdoors is looking for outgoing, motivated, and committed people to join the instructional team at their YMCA Camp Adair outdoor education centre, located on the edge of the Hunua Ranges, Hunua.
YMCA Outdoors delivers camp experiences for school and community groups, providing a wide range of activities such as climbing, high ropes, kayaking, archery and orienteering.
About the role
We currently have an opportunity to join our team on a casual basis as an Instructor with flexible & casual shifts – this could include weekdays, weekends and overnights.
In this role you will:
• Instruct outdoor educational programmes to groups largely aged 8-14
• Instruct for school holiday programmes (this will include staying overnight during the programme)
• Work as part of a team (Great team culture)
• Help with maintenance of activity equipment
• Be responsible for health & safety on your activities
This role is ideal for someone who is passionate about the outdoors and teaching and this would reflect in your previous work or study experience & hobbies. Site specific training will be provided.
Camp Adair is located on the edge of the Hunua ranges and is not on public transport routes, applicants must have their own reliable transport. Basic overnight accommodation may be available for nights around days of work.
Skills & Experience
• A strong interest/passion for the outdoors and outdoor activities
• A passion or interest in teaching and working with children
• Physically active & able to be on your feet all day and exposed to the outdoor elements
• Proactive and keen to learn
• A positive personality and a great team player
• Flexibility to work casual shifts including some weekends and overnights
• Previous experience working in a similar role or studying in a relevant field would be advantageous
• Any relevant certificates, qualifications and technical skills would be advantageous e.g. First Aid, High Ropes, Skills Active Quals
• Hardworking and reliable – with your own transport
While previous experience is not essential only candidates with a strong passion for the outdoors and teaching will be considered for this role. This could be demonstrated through your previous jobs, hobbies or study.
Site specific training provided
Career development & opportunities to upskill
Y-Not Join Our Fun & Passionate Team?
If a career working with Camp Adair appeals to you and you have the skills and attributes we are looking for, please forward your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org now!
YMCA Auckland is committed to Child Protection and the safeguarding of children and young people in our care and it is our expectation that all staff will operate in a way that reflects this intent. The successful applicant will need to return a satisfactory Police Record Check before commencement of Employment.
About the Organisation
You probably know the song but did you also know that YMCA employs around 700 employees across Auckland, Hamilton and Tauranga! We have a diverse range of operations including facility management, health and fitness, early childhood education, OSCAR, accommodation, camps & outdoors, recreation, aquatic, fundraising, education and youth programmes. We provide something for everyone!
As a not for profit, for over 150 years YMCA has been about families, not profits. Join us and know that you’re contributing to building strong kids, families and communities now and for many years to come.
YMCA is able to offer great opportunities for personal development and career advancement. We provide real career pathways and job opportunities in a fun, community focused environment.
We are proud to have a great mix of people of all ages and cultures within our teams who love their work and all contribute to our diverse company culture. We live by our values of Caring, Honesty, Respect & Responsibility.